Monday, July 14, 2008

Weekends....


Hello!

See. I did three notable things last weekend: 

1) I finished reading 'book.' Units: one.
2) I saw 'movie.' Units: two.
3) I got my hair straightened ('Bio-straightened' as Mayo puts it) 

Seeing as the third one has to do with my appearance, this post will be dedicated to my hair appointment (I'll review the book and movies in subsequent posts.)

For a while now, I've been wondering whether to straighten my hair or not.  [Hey! For a woman, it's an important decision, alright?] There were people who told me 'Your hair will look like straw' (thank you, Maya and Varsha) or 'If you straighten your hair, I will tie you up in the straightened hair and present you to the Spartans on a spear.' There were also people who told me I'll look tolerable. So there was only one way to find out, wasn't there? * (The asterisk means there is a footnote)

So, there I was. At the parlor at around 4 p.m. on Sunday. There was no one else there, and there were two women who looked like they'd rather be frolicking on the beaches of Puerto Rico. I told the woman what I want, I did not quite take to the conspiring look she gave her companion.

Anyway, I tried to look like 'I've done this a zillion times before. I know how it goes.' But I guess they kinda understood when I asked in the middle of the procedure 'Can I go and get some coffee?' and they said 'Can you please NOT move your head?' On the whole, I think I handled the whole '4 hour hair-pulling, combing, yanking, sizzling (at some points)' session quite well. Here is a brief 'summary' of what I did (mind you, not they) at the various stages of the procedure. You will know why I am a delight to style. 

1) Stage 1 (Hair wash): I went to sleep. 

2) Stage 2 (Hair straightening using an electric straightener): I kept shrinking away from it. So my roots are not what you would call ramrod straight.

3) Stage 3 (Hair straightening using strips of plastic with chemical on it): This took an hour. To while my time, I 'organized' a 'race' between the woman working on the right side of my head against the woman on the left. The woman on the left won, but the woman on the right did not appreciate my comments like 'Buck up!' or 'You can do it!' ** (see footnote. Did I not tell you what these star thingies meant?!) 

4) Stage 4 (40 min wait): I ignored the glares from 'woman on the right' and instead focused on talking to S who I insisted on inviting to the parlor :D. He thought I was joking. So did the women actually, come to think of it...Hmmm...

5) Stage 5 (Hair wash YAY!): Refer to 'Stage 1' above.

6) Stage 6 (Dumping of some other chemical on head accompanied by vigorous brushing of hair): See I thought Stage 5 was the last. So I was taken aback and started accusing 'woman on the right' of making up extra stages. [errrr..]

7) Stage 7 (15 min wait): I sulked.

8) Stage 8 (Hair wash and set): The triumph of the... of the... well, of the me!

With all of it behind me, I look sexy! (So what if it is just me who thinks so?) When I come out of the bath now, I can tilt my head and towel my hair like Hindi film heroines. And NOT look like a bristling porcupine in the process. 

So, you let me know what you think of my new look. OK? And coming up in the next episode.... Book review. :D

Footnotes:

* [ This is also how you will find the problems of your life. there will be people who tell you this is right, and others who tell you it is not. When it comes to you, you will have to try it and see for yourself. No other way. Kind of like face foundation ... or lingerie. Don't waste your life thinking whether or not a bikini will suit you. ]

** Around this time, I also asked for the coffee. :D

16 comments:

amna said...

looking good NS! and man, you are hilarious!!! i have given some publicity for you, check it out here:

www.thewayialwayswas.blogspot.com

Varsha said...

:) your hair does not look like straw. you do look purty :D

~F said...

That was hillarious Miss Pony :-P So about the footnote... does a bikini suit you or not?

Mandar said...

Ya allah!! Yeh ladki!! :) Tell me... willyoubethesame?? :)

Vaishali Sabhahit said...

:D He he he. Thanks Nags. I have to fully understand this system too.

@ penelope: whoever you are, you rock! You used 'purty.'! Also, would love to know you. Am reading your blog anyway ;)

Mayo, the bikini is a secret I will carry to my grave :P. And I will thank you not to mention it without explicit consent :D

Mandara, IwillNOTbethesame. My blog is actually challenge

Also, you all will now agree that I don't know how to respond to comments.

Thank you all! Muah!

--xh-- said...

LOL... i think that 4-5 hours ordeal was wroth it coz u looks fantastic :-D
man, u know hw to make simple things hilarious... :-D do count me in as a regular reader....

Anonymous said...

haha! funny.

Nandini Vishwanath said...

I'm thinking everyone is being nice to you :D


Send more pictures and I will comment then!

Mandar said...

Lion! :)

All Is Whole said...

So much sacrifice for straight hairs.....But its worth if everything comes alright. Isnt it??

Smiles :)

Neo said...

artificial barby doll petty packed straight from the shelf.

Cynic in Wonderland said...

have obeyed nandini's command and come here to investigate.

Do ALL females have problems with salons? the women in parlours usually scare the bejesus outta me.

me said...

Vaishali!! No matter what ppl tell ya! Am with you on the straight hair man! :P I have tried it one and to tell you the truth me is hooked! (aaah what glory I actually for a change do not need clips to keep my hair from reaching for the sky! Damn all that electricity in the air man :| )

BTW this is Dipya :D and welcome to online blogging! Hope to see more of your posts :P

Aslam Pyarajan said...

u do look good in straight open hair.

Varsha said...

sigh. sherlock NS, as you have already found out, this is varsha. Thanks for clearing that up for her, nandu x(

Karthik S said...

This one is really awesome... cute one.

A 3rd 'person' view of me...

She's scared of the lizard. Again.  I know she is not the sort to scare easy, but lizards somehow get to her. Horror stories, horror mov...